Thursday, March 25, 2021

Cards from Russia, Russia and Russia

BLOG # 1510

Hello again. Today I have three cards to highlight and they all arrived from Russia. This first one gives us a look at the interior of a large library , perhaps in Moscow. Unfortunately the card doesn't identify the city where these stacks of books are located. 


Sveta used 2 stamps on her card, both of which are definitives. On the left, from 2019 is 1 of 12 Eagle definitives. On the right , from 2020  is 1 of 2 Coat of Arms definitives. I know they look quite alike, I don't see the eagle on the left stamp, both look like the coat of arms. Maybe my catalogue has mislabelled one. 


Here's my second card and it's from Katy in Moscow. Her card is a look at 3 different views of Marilyn Monroe, reading. There are many , many pictures of Marilyn reading or posing in front of books . She owned and had in her personal library at least 430 books . She loved reading James Joyce, Walt Whitman and Carl Sandburg. Her books included American and French Literature, Anthologies and Biographies, Books about Art, Gardening & Pets, Freud, Politics and quite a few other topics. 


Sveta used 3 of the 2019 definitives. 



Time now for the last card for today. Here we see Emperor Nicholas I . The card shows the likeness of a portrait by Georg von Bothmann. Nicholas I reigned from Dec 1825 until Mar 1855. He held the titles of Emperor of Russia, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Finland. Many historians have frequently concluded that " the reign of Nicholas I was a catastrophic failure in both domestic and foreign policy." 


  

Ksenia used 2 of the 2019 definities on her card. 



Well that's the cards for today. Thanks go out to Sveta, Katy and Ksenia. 

This is my 7th blog in March, I did 6 in February and 5 in January. Guess I'll have to shoot for 8 in April. I'm pretty sure I'll still get another one or two in this month though. 

Wear a Mask, wash your Hands and Keep your Distance. 

Take care everyone. 

No comments: