Thursday, May 22, 2008

New Country #186 Niger



Yesterday brought just one postcard, but when its from a country that you never received a card from before one can be quite happy with just one. That is the case . The one postcard is from Niger country # 186 in my collection. One doesn't often see, not to mention receive, mail from this part of Africa. And, I owe it all to Sara, who lives in Niger. Niger is a landlocked country in Western Africa, named after the Niger River. It borders Nigeria and Benin to the south, Burkina Faso and Mali to the west, Algeria and Libya to the north and Chad to the east. The capital city is Niamey.
The picture on the card shows the Agadez Grand Mosque which is located about 740 km northeast of Niamey. Today Agadez flouishes as a market town and is a centre for the transportation of the uranium mined in the area. The Grand Mosque dates from 1515 but was rebuilt in the same style in 1844. Sara used a 2006 stamp featuring President Tandja Mamadou. One interesting note is what Sara wrote on her card- with the conflicts in the North, it's no longer safe to go and visit- referring to the Mosque. Niger is the 22nd African country in my collection but I still have 32 more to go in that area. Still a big challenge.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Hi Glenn,

Glad to see that you received it. It took a month to get from Niamey to Calgary, not too bad.

Things look like I'll be going in Benin and Burkina in the next months, so check you mailbox.

Malaysia Stamps Album said...

Hello friend,

I had great experience while navigating your Blog http://gemsworldpostcards.blogspot.com/

I had create 2 Blog "Stamp Album" ( http://stampsalbum.blogspot.com/ ) and "Stamps" ( http://stampbooks.blogspot.com/ ) . These Blogs intend to further classify Malaysia issued stamps into a few related categories and to share world stamp enthusiasts with Malaysia Philatelic Bureau issues products.

It will be great if you accept my invitation to exchange links and adding my 2 Blog URL to your blog; I will add your Blog URL into my Blogs too. Thanks