Sunday, December 10, 2017

Untitled

Howdy folks. I know it's time for another update. I have been a little busy, but that's behind me now. It's on to postcards. In no particular order, here's a few to have a look at.

From France - a look at rue Saint-Jean in Villefrance de Conflent , a small village in south France. It has a massive thick wall surrounding the entire village and the town's centre consists of streets of pink coloured stone houses built around the 13th century.



Thanks to Dominique for this card. He used an Aviation themed stamp from 2016, it commemorates the 100th  Anniversary of the Eclair  Propeller.




My next card, also from France , shows a large portion of Paris. The large tower in the foreground is the Montparnasse Tower. The tower is often criticised for being out of place in Paris's urban landscape due to its simple architecture , large size and monolithic appearance. As a result, two years after its completion in 1973, the construction of buildings over seven stories high in the city centre was banned.  It is said that the tower's observation deck enjoys the most beautiful view in all of Paris, because it is the only place from where the tower cannot be seen. Parisians need not fret, a project is currently underway to redesign the building's facade.


Thank you Jean Pierre for this fine card. The stamp on this card is the 2017 Auguste Rodin stamp which I showcased in my November 2017 update. So no need to do it again.


Today's third card arrived from Belgium. It's a partial view of Dinant, a charming and picturesque  , historic town in the Walloon Region, located along the stone cliffs on the River Meuse. At the top of the card is the centuries old fortified Citadel, built in the 11th century and then later rebuilt in 1530 and again in 1821. Below the Citadel is the Gothic Collegiate Church of the Lady, dating from the 13th century. The statue in the foreground of the postcard is of Charles de Gaulle, near the bridge where he was wounded in World War I.



I owe Gerda thanks for this card. She has a wonderful postcard blog called  My Postcard-Page . On my card she used a quite large stamp from this year. It is 1 of 5 stamps in a Masks set.




Strangely this next card is also from Belgium, that's 2 from France and now 2 from Belgium.
This one is a nice Aviation themed card from days past. I'll go out on a limb here and say that it's a Sabena aircraft, but I'll leave it to the experts to identify the aircraft type. Any guesses ?



My thanks go to Johan for this card. He also has a great postcard blog called  johan postcards  .  A nice stamp and a nice First Day of Issue cancel - Oct 23, 2017. The stamp is 1 of 5 in a set highlighting World War I. The stamp on my card commemorates the Battle of Passchendale.




Well, that's it for this time. Not my usual 6 cards, but 4 works well. Thanks to Dominique, Jean Pierre, Gerda and Johan. My blog would be nothing without people like you.  Take care and drop by again soon.

No comments: