Friday, July 2, 2010

Jean Pierre's Time Again

Well as you can see from the date of my last update, I was right. This past week shaped up just as expected, busy. Only now, Friday evening here in Calgary, can I get any time for postcards. I didn't even have time for my Canada Day update, yesterday. Yes, Canada is 134 years old. I know that isn't very old in comparison to many of the places I receive postcards from , but I am still proud of my country, even if it is quite young.
On to postcards , and as the update title says, they are all compliments of Jean Pierre. Today's cards are from Ukraine, Aruba, Monaco, and France. Jean Pierre certainly gets around. The first card is from Ukraine. I really can't say much about the picture on the front, other than it appears to be a couple of churches . The two larger stamps were issued in 2007 and are part of a set of 6 commemorating folklore and costumes. The other stamp has already been mentioned in a previous update.

The next 2 cards are from Aruba. While these are not my first cards from Aruba, they are my first stamped cards from Aruba. I received a card a few years ago from Aruba , but it had a postage meter sticker on it. So these two are just great. The first one shows a few scenes of Oranjestad, and also a large cruise ship in port in the capital.The cruise ship brings back great memories of my recent cruise. But I digress. Two nice stamps on this card, the one on the left was issued in 2008 and is 1 of a set of 4 , issued to commemorate Arubian Cultural Year. The other was issued in 2007 and shows Kapel Alto Vista Chapel.
The second Aruba card shows a Watapana or Divi-divi Tree on Eagle Beach. These trees are never straight due to the trade winds. They remind me of spruce and fir trees on Newfoundland Island on Canada's East Coast. There , we call them tuckamore. This time Jean Pierre used a different value from the set of Kapel Alto Vista stamps and a 2009 Dolphin stamp , 1 of a set of 4.
Now we have a card from Monaco. A multi view card showing different Monaco scenes. When I started collecting postcards, just over four years ago, the first card I received was from Monaco.
Now I have another. The 2009 stamp on this latest card honors SEPAC. The Small European Postal Administrations Cooperation consists of Åland Post, Faroese Post, Gibraltar Philatelic Bureau, Post Greenland, Guernsey Post ltd, Iceland Post, Isle of Man Post, Jersey Post ltd, Liechtensteinische Post AG, PTT Luxembourg, Maltapost plc, Monaco Philatelic Bureau and San Marino Post. It was formed in 1998.
Note the clear cancellation on the stamp, something many postal departments around the world could and should copy.Our next card is a beauty. Of course it goes in my aircraft/airlines on postcards collection. An Air France Concorde. Need I say more. The stamp on this one is from this year and celebrates the 150th anniversary of the founding of Deauville.
Today's final card shows a great picture of The Church of Saint-Nectaire, located in the Auvergne region of France. The stamp on the left was issued in 2000 and is from a multi sheet of 10 featuring cars. This one shows a Citroen. The other stamp is unknown to me.
As you can seen , Jean Pierre has been quite busy sending cards from all around.I owe him many many thanks for these cards and others in the past. Thank you Jean Pierre.

A final note for tonight will be my month end report for June 2010. During the month, I received a total of 38 postcards, of which 17 were from Postcrossers. I mailed out 28 cards and 27 of them went to Postcrossers. I added 1 new country to my list of countries making it 237.

I should be able to squeeze in another update sometime this weekend. I have the cards already, so it's just a matter of finding the time. As always, thanks for reading , and your comments are welcome. Take care.

No comments: