Saturday, July 29, 2023

St. Vincent's - A Newfoundland Town, Grand Turk Beach and One More.

   Blog # 1593 --- Day  521 of the Current  ( Second ) Russian Invasion of Ukraine 

                      

                                                                  GLORY TO UKRAINE         



Welcome back to The Blog. I'll get right to the cards. First up is a card from Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands. It shows the lovely beach right on Front Street, Grand Turk. This is a card My Lovely Teena sent back for me from a cruise we were on in January. We were in Grand Turk on 27 January. 



Teena used 3 stamps on this card. The left stamp , from 1973, is 1 of 15 in a set showing Birds. The other 2 stamps , from a set of 4 WWF stamps,  all showed the Red Tailed Hawk. They were issued in 2007. 


A card posted on January 27, postmarked July 07 and arrived in my mail box yesterday, 28July. Where have you been for the past 6 months ? I guess I should be happy it arrived and I truly am. Well readers cross your fingers because I mailed 12 cards that day in Grand Turk. Now that one has seen the light of day, I just hope the others make it to their destinations around the world. Good luck to you all. 


I'm sure none of you remember that I also collect postcards with Newfoundland town postmarks. I still have many , many  to collect but every now and then one will show up in the mailbox. Just yesterday this one arrived from the town of St. Vincent's. With a population of 340, St. Vincent's history goes back to the early 16th century when French and Portuguese fishermen visited Newfoundland and Labrador. The town is located on a section of highway called the Irish Loop and is famous for humpback whale watching from the 5 km long beach in the area.

The card shows a dory , a popular small boat in Newfoundland. 


  

Orla sent this card, she is the Postmaster in St. Vincent's and she designed the whale cancel that you see . The stamp is a Canada Post Community Foundation semi-postal stamp issued in May of this year. 



My next card is from Japan. It arrived from Yanagawa, a city of just over 71 thousand people. It is popular with tourists because of its 470 km of wide canals. Riverboats take tourists around the city using the canals.  

I'm not sure of the theme of the card but it looks to me  like the puppet is controlling the master. 


Jobbo used this stamp, of which I wasn't able to find any info on. 




And on that note The Blog ends for today. Thanks to My Lovely Teena, Orla and Jobbo for their cards and stamps. 

See you next time. 


No comments: