Thursday, April 14, 2022

UKRAINE Cards and Support.

BLOG # 1564   --- Day 766 of the Pandemic  and Day 50 of the Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Well it's been quite awhile since I was last active here , one day shy of two months I think. I was away for half that time , a month down south in the warmth of Cuba. Then I contracted Covid and I am finally able to think about blogging. My Covid experience was much like a bad cold. I guess though if I wasn't triple vaccinated , the whole experience would have been much worse.

Of course while in Cuba I posted 25 postcards from Matanzas. I can only hope they arrive but my past experiences of mailing from Cuba have not been great.  Most cards never saw the light of day. I live in hope. If you are the recipient of one or two of these cards from Cuba, please let me know, either with a comment or via email. 

While I was away, I received a bunch of cards, well over fifty. My mailbox was so full that Canada Post took all my mail and closed the box to receiving anymore. I had to go out to the post office and retrieve a very large bundle of mail. The mail lady said " Have fun opening all that " .  And I did !

My first card for today arrived from Ukraine. It was posted on Feb 5th and arrived sometime while I was away. Natasha sent it and she told me she lives in Kyiv. I had an email from her a few days ago and she told me that the postal system isn't really working now and that people shouldn't send unessential mail as it might never be delivered.  I think Canada Post still accepts some mail for specific areas of Ukraine, but has suspended mail to Russia and Belarus. I know I won't be showing any cards from Russia or Belarus anytime soon !

Natasha's card is an aerial view of the old nine - arch railway bridge / viaduct located in the village of Plebanovka in the Ternopil region of the country. It was built in 1896. I hope it's still standing. 



Natasha used a Europa stamp from 2019. Two stamps were issued showing National Birds. Here we see a White Stork. 




My second card arrived form Monte-Carlo, Monaco. It shows us some of the buildings in the city. 



David used two stamps from this current year. On the left is 1 of 2 issued showing Legendary Race Cars - in this case the Benetton B195. On the right a commemorative celebrating 100 Years of the International Dog Show. 



This next card showcases Bamberg, a town in northern Bavaria, Germany. It's an old town that has preserved structures from the 11th to 19th centuries. It's old town was added to UNESCO's World Heritage Sites list in 1993. 


Dominique used a stamp from this year, and it commemorates the 225th Anniversary of the Birth of German poet Annette von Droste-Hulshoff. 



If I remember correctly, no one lived on Lovers Lane back where I came from. But now I see you can even have your mail directed there. Times sure have changed. I wonder if that's Barbara sitting atop that ladder ? 


Barbara used a 2022 Year of the Tiger stamp on her card. 



This next card was not planned for today, but it just arrived in the mail. And as they say , timing is everything. I started the day with a card from Ukraine, and now I'll finish with a card not from Ukraine but  Estonia , but it's all about Ukraine. I do this to show my support for Ukraine. 

The card was sent by Meelis and I would think it's his way of showing his support for Ukraine. The card was given out to whoever purchased the stamp that is used on the card. The card shows the Blue and Yellow Ukrainian Flag with some Ukrainian text that translates to " Glory To Ukraine " and   Estonia Supports Ukraine. 


 Meelis used the new stamp with a Peace Dove in Flight against the Blue and Yellow Colors of the Ukrainian Flag. It also has the same texts as the card. Glory To Ukraine and Estonia Supports Ukraine. 


I would love to see Canada Post issue a stamp of support for Ukraine. Perhaps all countries who support Ukraine should follow the lead of Estonia. 

That's all I have for today. Thanks for the cards go out to Natasha, David, Dominique, Barbara and Meelis. 

And yes, it's good to be back . 


No comments: