Wednesday, April 20, 2022

A New Country in My Collection and the Longest Railway Bridge

BLOG # 1566   -   Day 772 of the Pandemic   and   Day 56 of the Russian Invasion of Ukraine 


GLORY TO UKRAINE



Before I get to today's blog, a little housekeeping from my last update. I asked if anyone knew about countries issuing stamps in support of Ukraine and if so to leave a comment. Well Dustin in Germany did just that - he commented that Croatia has issued one and that Lithuania plans to issue one in May. Thanks Dustin, appreciate that. 


If you noticed the title of today's blog, you know I have received a card from a new stamp issuing country , new at least to me. It's Sierra Leone, country or entity # 268 in my collection. It's the first new country for me since I added Guinea-Bissau way back in Jan of 2019. Now with Sierra Leone in the bag, I have just 7 more to go , at least by my count. They are Central African Republic, Congo ( Dem Rep ), Liberia, South Sudan, Niuafo 'ou ( Tonga ) , Australian Antarctic Territory and Transnistria. 

After all that I guess it's time to show the card. It's a Flags of the World card showing the Green, White and Blue Flag of Sierra Leone along with the Coat of Arms, population and some interesting facts about the country. 


The card arrived with a 2018 Bird stamp. It is 1 of 17 in a set, although not all were birds. 


I have Gerda from Belgium to thank for this card. She arranged it unbeknownst to me. So it was a complete surprise. She also arranged the Guinea-Bissau card that I mentioned earlier. Thanks big time Gerda. Be sure to check out Gerda's postcard blog  right here


Today's second card arrived from Collegeville, PA via Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It's a look at the Rockville Bridge, located just north of Harrisburg. This bridge is the longest stone masonry arch railroad viaduct ever built. It has forty-eight 7-foot spans and a total length of 3,820 feet. It crosses the Susquehanne River and was constructed between 1900 and 1902. 



Marielle used a nice selection of stamps on her card. Let's start with the bottom left stamp. It is 1 of  10 in a set issued in 1973 showcasing Postal Service Employees. The top left stamp was issued in 1977 and commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the first Solo Transatlantic Flight in 1926. The last two stamps were issued in 2019. They commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the First Moon Landing by Apollo 11 in 1969 .


 

 That it for this time. Today I have Gerda and Marielle to thank for these cards. Special thanks to Gerda. 

No comments: