Wednesday, July 14, 2021

POSTCROSSING is 16 Years Old Today

BLOG # 1533  and  Still in Covid Time

How is everyone today ? I hope everyone is doing well and looking to the end of Covid time. I know I am, but we're not there yet. Today is July 14th and the great postcard project Postcrossing started 16 years ago this date . So Happy Birthday to Postcrossing. I joined Postcrossing on March 9th,  2006, eight months after start-up. I have been a member for 5,606 days and received 3,022 postcards from my membership.  Postcrossing now has 803,922 members in 208 countries. 62,518,282 postcards have been sent and received by those members. Congratulations to all those Postcrossers. 

Since today is a special day for Postcrossing, I think it only right that I show cards I have received as a Postcrosser. I'll start with a card from Ukraine.  It shows the Tunnel of Love,  a section of industrial railway located near Klevan, Ukraine, that links it with Orzhiv. It is a railway surrounded by green arches and is three to five kilometers in length. It is known for being a favorite place for couples to take walks. It might well be The Tunnel of Love, but that guy looks a lot like the Grim Reaper, even if that's a stick and not a scythe. 


 

 Katya used a number of different stamps on her card. The large stamp on the left is 1 of 4 in a 2013 mini-sheet of 6 called Generous Ukraine Autumn. The bottom right stamp is from a mini-sheet of 6 issued in 2006 showing Official Symbols and Things of Bogdan Khmelnitsky. The other 2 stamps are Flora definitives from 2013.



Card # 2 is from Lithuania. It shows a view of Nida, a resort town in the country. Nida is located on the Curonian Spit between the Curonian Lagoon and the Baltic Sea. It is the westernmost point of Lithuania and the Baltic states. Author Thomas Mann had a house built in Nida as seen on the card. After only three summers , Mann and family were forced into exile when the Nazis seized power. 


 

Alexandra , who hails from Klaipeda, the gateway to the Curonian Spit, sent this card. She mentioned that she had recently flown in a hot air balloon, something I also enjoyed a number of years ago. Alexandra used two stamps on her card. On the left is 1 of 3 issued in 2019 showing Lithuanian State Symbols. The right stamp, from 202, commemorates the 100th Anniversary of the Wars of Independence. 



Freckles seems to be the theme of this next card from Poland. It shows a picture of a young lady as seen by Agata Dobrzanska. a wedding and portrait photographer located in Wroclaw, Poland. 


Marcin used a couple of recent stamps here. Both were issued last year. On the left is 1 of 3 in a mini-sheet showing The World in the Eyes of the Youth. On the right, above the label, is a stamp commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the Solidarity Trade Movement.


 

Well I think I'll call it a day here now. I had another great card lined up but I'll hold it for next time. I'm off to watch my grandson in a soccer game . I know it's not the Euro or World Cup  , but I enjoy watching him just the same. Sometimes it's just as exciting. Go Blizzard Go !

Today my thanks for cards go out to Marcin, Katya and Alexandra. 

Take care now everyone, don't let covid make inroads again. 

No comments: