Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happy Valentine's Day

BLOG # 1502

Well it's Valentine's Day. I'm sure you have a kiss, a valentine, flowers and chocolate for your sweetie. The day is named after Saint Valentine. He died on this date in 269 AD. Actually he was arrested, jailed and executed, and not nicely. 

I guess one can say that he sent the first valentine. Legend has it that while in jail, St.Valentine left a farewell note for the jailer's daughter, who had become his friend, and signed it " From Your Valentine " . So there , now you know the reason for the day. 

I haven't received any Valentine themed postcards this year but I want to show two blank cards that I could have sent out if indeed I had a valentine out there. I guess I should have sent them to My Lovely Teena. Maybe next year. 

The first one is the New Yorker Magazine from Feb 10, 1951. I guess no matter where one might be , a valentine might show up for you. 


My second card is the New Yorker cover from Feb 13, 1960. I read very recently that most men are still looking for that special something for their valentine , late on the afternoon of Valentine's Day. I imagine this card shows just what it looks like. 


That's all I have to say about Valentine's Day today. My sweetie was good to me and I was good to her. What more needs to be said. 

Just this - wash your hands, wear a mask or two and keep your distance. 


  

No comments: