Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Stuck for Time- So a Short Update


Hello again. First of all , a little update from yesterday's post. As I didn't notice, my Torbay cards are postmarked and cancelled 2013-08-15. A neat trick but not what I wanted. So if you received one of these Torbay cards, I'm sorry that the year got messed up. You try and you try , but sometimes it's just not enough. Thanks to Johan for pointing this out to me, I think. No, just kidding Johan. On to today's cards. From the international front we have these cards:

Romania- The card shows a number of fountains and buildings in Bucharest, the capital and largest city of Romania. Latest population figures show it at 1.6 million. This card is compliments of Jean Pierre. As you can see the back of the card is about 95 percent covered by postage. The large souvenir sheet with a single stamp is celebrating the country's 150th anniversary of its Foreign Affairs Ministry. The other stamp in top right corner is 1 of 7 in a set of Personalities on Banknotes. Both stamps were issued this year.

Italy- Next we have an official Postcrossing card. The lady on it appears to be addressing a postcard. The lucky recipient, we don't know - perhaps you found it in your mailbox. There are 2 nice stamps on this one. The top stamp was issued this year, a Europa stamp encouraging Visits to Italy. The lower stamp was issued in 2009 and commemorates Italia 2009- Collecting Day.

Czech Republic- Here's another entry for my Airlines/Aircraft on Postcards Collection. This one is a Nordic Airlink MD-82. He used a 2012 Scouting stamp. Stanislav lives in and posted this card in Tyn nad Vltavou a small town of about 8,200 people.

Ukraine- This one goes in my Postbox Collection. The card is titled "Waiting For A Postman" and I think a couple of these have been waiting for some time. A Postcrosser by the name of Anna sent this one along. She used 2 stamps , the smaller one is a definitive showing English Oak leaves and was issued this year. The larger stamp is a Europa stamp , 1 of 2 in a set , issued in June of this year.

Yes , speaking of Postcrossing- Congratulations are in order. Tonight as I an writing this , Postcrossing reached a new milestone of 13, 000,000 postcards sent and received . Check it out at www.postcrossing.com .

My next card is not addressed to me, and was not sent to me from the country of origin. It was posted from Monrovia, Liberia on Jul 22, 1975 to South Hill, Virginia, U.S.A. It shows a village under the Palm trees. I am showing the card as it is often said that Liberia does not have a working postal service. Well it did back in 1975. I have been trying for my own card from Liberia for over 6 years now. I have received mail from Liberia and it contained a couple of postcards , but never the actual stamped and mailed postcard . I keep trying though. A nice 1974 stamp celebrating the Centenary of the Birth of Sir Winston Churchill was used. Thanks to Boyd for the card.

Here's another Towns of Newfoundland and Labrador card. This one comes from Marystown , on the south coast of the island. It is the largest town on the Burin Peninsula , with about 5,500 people. Wanda sent this card , showing a meal of mussels cooking over an open wood fire. She used a 2011 Baby Wildlife definitive.

That's about it for this time, it's a little longer than I planned and a little longer than the title suggests. Thanks to Wanda, Anna, Stanislav, Boyd, and Jean Pierre and the others for their cards.
Take care, I'll be back soon, but just not tomorrow or Friday.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is really a great postcard
Assab Zipcode

Unknown said...

Article contains so many wonderful information which will be liked by the readers as in my opinion this is the best article in this category.
bahadurgarh pincode