Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Few New Postcards

Well, I am back after quite a while away from this blog. No, I didn't go away , nothing like that. I guess it's just the time of year. Christmas approaching, shopping, addressing cards , decorating the house outside, shoveling snow, yes we have snow now, have had to clear the driveway and walks twice. All this takes time , time away from this blog. But enough about that , the house is quiet right now and I am here with an update.
My first card for today is from Finland. it was sent by Sari, a Postcrosser, and mailed from Helsinki.
The card shows an Ilyushin Il-76 in Aeroflot colors. This plane saw extensive service as a commercial freighter, especially for the delivery of out sized or very heavy cargo. Sari says that the card is an old Russian postcard. She may be right. The back of the card has The Aeroflot Soviet Airlines logo along with an Olympic symbol and the slogan Official Olympic Carrier. If it dates from the 1980 boycotted Summer Olympics, it could be in the range of 28 years old. The stamp on the card is from a 2005 set of 4 featuring icebreakers. This card is a great addition to my aircraft on postcards collection. As a former airline worker, I have been collecting these for many years, long before I started collecting postcards as such. Thanks Sari for your consideration in sending this type of card.

The next card is also from Finland and was posted in Oulu. It was sent by another Postcrosser, named Linda. She lives in Kuusamo. This is a town of about 17,000, located in the north of Finland. It is a major center for winter sports and receives approximately a million tourists a year. One of the largest skiing centers in Finland, Ruka, is situated in Kuusamo. Ruka hosts many competitions in ski jumping, cross country and Nordic combined. It also has the longest bobsleigh track in Finland. You can see some of the facilities on the card. Linda used a new 2008 stamp , 1 of a set of 4, featuring moths.
My final card for this update is from The Netherlands and is quite appropriate for the upcoming season. It is quite self explanatory. Another Postcrossing card.

Now , an update to my Nov 18th blog. A number of suggestions were received on how to get a card from Kazakhstan. I received an email today, from a source, that a card is in the mail. I will advise when it arrives.

That's it for today, hopefully I will get back to a little more regular updates. Thanks for reading. Comments are always welcome.

No comments: