Sunday, January 21, 2018

Cards, Cards, Cards

Good day to you, it's been over a week since I was last here. I have no good excuse other than I just never got to it. Be that as it may , I have lots of cards on the desk in front of me now, fifteen or so, so let's get to it. I certainly won't get through them all, so it's one card at a time starting with this one.

It's from Maribor, Slovenia - the second largest city in the country. The city of just over 95,000 is located on the Drava River. It is also the home of the oldest vine in the world at more than 400 years. Just so you know ! 



I have Ana to thank for this card. It was written on December 31st, 2017 and it looks to me like it received a New Year's cancellation. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Ana used a Bird definitive from 2015, 1 of 5 in a set.


Ana has a fine postcard blog called " My World of Postcards and Travel " . You won't go wrong by checking it out . Her blog was on somewhat of an extended hiatus but she's back again , so be sure to check in from time to time.


Today's second card is from Colombo, Sri Lanka. It showcases the remains of the walls of a Buddhist image house in Polonnaruwa. The columns  rise to a height of 17 m.



Ravindra used 2 stamps on his card. On the top is 1 of a set of 20 issued in 2017 for United Nations Day of Vesak. The lower stamp , also from 2017, honours D.B. Dhanapala ( 1905-1972) - journalist & author.




Ravindra too , has a blog  - it's called " Discover the World on Trains " .


Did someone mention Aviation themed cards ? It seems I often have one to put up here. This time it's an Airspeed Consul which Singapore Airlines operated back when. The card celebrates Singapore Airlines 50th Anniversary, 1947-1997.



Jean Pierre used a 2017 stamp , 1 of 4 in a set of Wedding Jewelry.




Oops, another Aviation card. This one was put out by the French Post and showcases Aeropostale , an early aviation company which operated from 1918 to 1933. It was founded in Toulouse, France but by 1931 it was experiencing financial difficulties and its assets were taken over by Air France in 1933.



This is a card from Dominique and it arrived with a special preprinted stamp to match the front of the card.




My next card is from Thailand, compliments of Jobbo. It's the Golden Mount or Wat Saket. The temple is located in Bangkok and dates back to the Ayutthaya era ( 1350-1767). You'll find it in the heart of the city near the Grand Palace.



We have 2 stamps on this card and both were issued in 2017. On the left is a definitive Thai Pavilion stamp . It is from a set of 9.
On the right, 1 of 6 issued in a set celebrating the Royal Cremation Ceremony of His Majesty King Bhumibol.




Card # 6 - the last one for this time.   Here we see a band practising at Windsor Castle. I guess it'll be a little more busy come May 19th when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle tie the knot in St. George's Chapel. I wonder who will post the first postcard of that event ?  Founded by William the Conqueror in the 11th century, the castle is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world. It has been the home of 39 monarchs.



This card came as a surprise to me. The sender wrote that he saw my blog and thought to send a postcard while he was in Windsor. He calls himself " The Rambler " . Not sure who he is but there is an Alex the Rambler online - on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, and he is located in the United Kingdom. Maybe , but I don't know.

He used a recent Queen Elizabeth II definitive on his card.



There you have it, my blog for this time. Thanks for cards go out to Ana, Ravindra, Dominique, Jean Pierre, Jobbo and The Rambler.
Hope you enjoyed today's cards and stamps. More just like them again soon.

No comments: