Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Last of The Abundance

Good day folks. Here's the last of that abundance of postcards that seemed to be hanging around. Today's cards are from Finland, Norway, Japan and France and who knows where else.
First up is this great Aviation themed card from Finland. While it's not Finnair or even Aero Airlines, the plane appears to be a military aircraft from around 1942. Note the machine gun mounted about mid aircraft and the torpedo attached underneath.



Sabine , a Postcrosser from Helsinki sent this card and used a stamp issued on June 9th. It is a mourning stamp issued for Mauno Koivisto, Finland's ninth president.




A card from Norway is next. It arrived from the city of Sandnes just south of Stavanger. On Heidi's card you can see the Kjeragbolton, a huge boulder located on the Kjerag mountain. The 5 cubic metre rock is wedged in a mountain crevasse and is suspended over a 984 metre deep abyss.

 

Now I know that if I ever get to Stavanger, and I hope to within the next 1-2 years , I'll be heading out to Kjerag and have my picture taken atop Kjeragbolten. I'm pretty sure, though,  that My Lovely Teena may try and talk me out of such a stunt. If it indeed happens, you'll see the picture here first.

Heidi used a Posthorn stamp and a Marine Life stamp . The marine Life stamp was issued in 2006, in a set of 2.




Today's third card is from Japan. It shows Train 104 of the Hakone Tozan Railway, a mountain railway , operating in the Hakone region. The railway started operations in 1919. It is capable of climbing one meter vertically for every 12.5 meters of horizontal distance. The line also has three switchbacks to ascend particularly steep sections.



Mariko used a recent Letter Writing Day stamp. It is 1 of 5 in the set.




My next card is also from Finland. The picture in entitled  " Lynn in Her Mom's Corvette " .  What can I say - I always liked corvettes, even Mom's.



Mervi used 2 copies of one of the 2007 Christmas Stamps.





The Chateau of Villandry is the subject of this next card. Known for its beautiful gardens, it is one of the most visited chateaux in France.  The chateau , opened in 1536 , was once the meeting place where King Philip II of France met Richard I of England to discuss peace.



Dominique used 2 stamps from the past - 1967 on this card. On the left is a stamp celebrating the National Congress of Philatelic Societies, and on the right , one celebrating the Orleans Flower Show.




That's another update in the books. Thanks for cards today go out to Sabine, Heide, Mariko, Mervi and Dominique. There are still 2 days left in the month, so I'm hoping to get at least one more update in before month's end. Join me, won't you ? Take care.

No comments: