Thursday, January 26, 2012

An Update Without a Title- You Have to Read to Know

It's Thursday and I have 4 cards for today. They come from Germany, Morocco, U.S.A and Canada.More about the cards in a bit. First , I have an update to something in my January 22nd entry. I had showed a postcard from Russia with the picture of some dude. I didn't know who he was or anything about him. Well Leslie of the postcard blog! was kind enough to do a little research and advise her findings. The postcard showed the painting Portrait of the Russian poet Gavril Derzhavin . It was painted in 1795 by Valadimir Borovikovsky. The dates I had mentioned 1757 and 1825 are the birth date and the date of the artist's death. The painting is in the Tretyakov Gallery in the National Museum of Russian Fine Art, Moscow. Thanks Leslie for that.

Now on to today's stuff.

Dorothee's card shows us the impressive Cologne Cathedral. Constructed between 1248 and 1880 it is Germany's most visited landmark, attracting an average of 20,000 people a day. It was added as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996. We have 2 stamps on the card, including a flower definitive and a 2011 issue of an Aquarium-For Our Children.

Here's a card from Marrakesh, Morocco. Marrakesh has the largest traditional market ( souk ) in Morocco and also one of the busiest squares in Africa and the world , Djemaa el Fna. Jean Pierre's card is really a Morocco Flag card, but with four Moroccan scenes added, one in each corner. Two nice 2011 stamps were used.

Now for a different shaped card. It's a Greeting from Maine card . Molly , who visited Maine last fall, actually lives in Keene, New Hampshire, in the US Northeast. As you can see on the top of the card, Maine is a great place for lobster. Molly used 2 of the Pixar stamps issued back in August of 2011. These two feature Lightning McQueen & Mater on one and Buzz Lightyear on the other. My grandsons would love these stamps. This is the second card I have received with these Pixar stamps. I now have 3 of the 5 different designs. Who knows, I might receive all 5 eventually.

And the final card is this one from Canada. It is actually an advertising card for Hoptober Golden Ale , brewed by New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, Co. USA. That my friends is all I know about this card, I have no idea who sent it, where in Canada it was posted from or anything else about it. It didn't even have my name on it, just my address. It even escaped a postmark, sadly. The stamp is a recent one though, it was issued on January 16, 2012. It is the official Diamond Jubilee Permanent stamp, issued to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee. The stamp features a cameo of a photograph of Her Majesty in her royal robes and tiara.
So ends another entry in GemsWorldPostcards. Thanks go to Dorthee, Jean Pierre, Molly and the unknown stranger. Leslie , thanks again. Take care, enjoy your postcards and stamps, and hope you enjoyed your time here and do come back.

No comments: