Friday, January 6, 2012

First Card of 2012

This will be a really short update, with just a single card.

Well, here it is, my first card of 2012. And, it's a great start to the New Year. A new Year , a New Country or Entity in my collection. Number 255 , leaving just 18 more to collect. This one is from Ross Dependency Agency. I know purists out there will say this one doesn't really qualify as a new place and I guess they are right. But until I actually receive a card I know is truly from Scott Base , I am accepting this one for my collection. My collection- my rules.

I know this Antarctica card was nowhere near Antarctica but it's a great card nonetheless. First a little history. Ross Dependency is a region of Antarctica defined by a sector originating at the South Pole, passing along longitudes 160 degrees east to 150 degrees west and terminating at latitude 60 degrees south. The scientific bases of Scott Base and McMurdo Station are the only permanently occupied places in the area.

Ross Dependency stamps have been issued by New Zealand for use on mail from Scott Base since 1957. The actual post office at Scott Base was closed in 1957 and mail from the base was handled in Christchurch. Ross Dependency stamps ceased to be issued until 1994. The stamps are not generally valid on New Zealand mail. Mail from the Ross Dependency is processed by the Ross Dependency Agency, located at a post office in Christchurch. Members of the public are able to post mail bearing Ross Dependency stamps at the office. Mail is cancelled with the postmark reading "Ross Dependency Agency Christchurch ".

Vivienne , a Postcrosser from Christchurch sent this Antarctica card to me. It shows storm clouds over Mt Erebus behind Scott's Cape Evans 1910-12 base, Ross Island, Antarctica. Vivienne used 2 of 5 stamps in a 2011 Race to the Pole set, and they are clearly postmarked Christchurch, Ross Dependency Agency. A reader left a comment on my Nov 24 update to the effect that the Christchurch post office doing the Ross Dependency Agency cancellations was no more due to the recent major earthquakes. This postcard shows that they are again back in business.

As I mentioned above, this card is not from Ross Dependency, but only from Ross Dependency Agency. I'm glad to have it though, it is new to my collection and I'm going to cross off another place from the list on the left, leaving just 18 more. And, I'm not one to brag, but I have received a card, actually sent from Antarctica. If you check my entry for Dec 23rd, 2007 , you will see a card sent from Halley Base on the Brunt Ice Shelf, British Antarctic Territory. I believe that does actually count as bragging. Now, inquiring minds want to know- how many of you reading this has a card from Ross Dependency or even one from Ross Dependency Agency, or any card actually sent from Antarctica ?
Don't be shy, leave a comment and let me know.

Thanks to Vivienne for a wonderful card. That's it for this time.

I will try and be back here tomorrow. See ya !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you get many bragging rights for getting a card that's actually from Antarctica. I would love to know how you did it. Did you know someone who was going down there or did you go looking for someone stationed there? I'm very curious to know!

cddstamps said...

Glenn, Hi.. Happy New Year.. will I have a cover for you soon.. something to match this I hope you will agree.. may take a while to get to you but one I think you will like.. Antarctica 100th Anniversary.. flown to Antarctica :-)

Happy New Year .. Best wishes .. Michael