Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Postcards, Postcards and more Postcards

am back from my weekend in Saskatchewan. I arrived home Sunday night. When I checked my mail on Monday, I found 7 postcards and then today 4 more. So this week is starting off wonderfully. I picked out 4 for today's update and they come from Poland, Serbia, Ireland and Norway.

Monika sent the Poland card to me. She is a Postcrosser that I had sent a card to earlier . She liked it so much that she sent back a card to me. Monika's card is a Panoramic sepia card of Krakow. It shows The Wawel Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaw and Vaclav. The cathedral has a 1000 plus year history. The current building is the third built on the site and construction was started in the 14th century. Monika used a nice selection of stamps from 2010, 2004, 2001 and 1999. The 2 top stamps are current for this year and are celebrating Pope John Paul II. The other stamps all show various styles of buildings. Thanks Monika.

My next card is from Belgrade, Serbia and is from my good postcard friend Ana. The card shows us The Temple of Saint Sava, an orthodox church in Belgrade. It is the largest orthodox cathedral in the Balkans and can seat 10,800. It is dedicated to Saint Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church. Ana's card has a 2009 definitive from a set of 2, this one showing a castle of some sort. Thanks Ana.

Now for a card from Ireland. It shows a few traditional boats in Roundstone, Connemara on the west coast of Ireland.
Quite a peaceful scene. Bram used 1 of 4 stamps in a 2008 souvenir sheet highlighting Irish Music.

The final card for this update is a photo of Geirangerfjord in the south west of Norway. This fjord is one of Norway's most visited sites. It was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2005, as an example of one of the world's most beautiful classical fjord landscapes. I can't argue with that after looking at the card. The stamp on this card is from 2007 , 1 of 2 honoring Theodor Kittelsen.

That's it for this time, thanks to those that sent the cards, and thanks to you for reading.
Fyi, winter has arrived here on the prairies. Woke up this morning to 10 cm of snow. Forecast calls for snow until Saturday. Take care.

5 comments:

Trevor said...

Great postcards there, Glenn.

Shaunna said...

Gorgeous cards - but I hate to tell you, not all the prairies have snow. Lovely ole Winterpeg has only had flurries, and they are vanishing as I type.

Ana said...

so the Belgrade cards turned out with stamps after all :)
I just found the cancellation rather unusual...translated it would mean, "a zip/postal code on every sent postal item"...I havent been able to figure out if there is a particular reason for that...

Monika said...

It's great to see my card on your blog :) Best wishes!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful information .This is really important for me .I am searching this kind of information from a long time and finally got it.
laxmangarh pincode