Tuesday, August 3, 2010

July Postcard Report and Five New Cards

I want to start this update with the monthly postcard report for July. During the past month I received a total of 37 postcards. 21 of those were through my membership in Postcrossing. I mailed out a total of 31 cards and 29 of those went to Postcrossers during July. I added 1 new country or stamp issuing entity to my collection for a total of 238.
Now on to the new postcards. Today's postcards come from the U.S.A. , Faroe Islands, Tuvalu, Australia and The Netherlands. That's the order we shall do them, so the U.S. goes first.
The card comes from Huntsville, Alabama, home of NASA's Space and Rocket Center. The card is a photo of NASA's original seven astronauts standing on the flight line beside a Convair 106B. They are (left to right) M. Scott Carpenter, L. Gordon Cooper Jr., John H Glenn Jr., Virgil I. Grissom, Walter M. Schirra Jr., Alan B. Shepard Jr., and Donald K. Slayton. All men to be admired.
The card is from Sara, a Postcrosser down that way. Sara used 2 First Class Forever Liberty Bell stamps from 2008. Just a great card , thanks Sara.
Card # 2 is from Leirvik, Faroe Islands. Leirvik is an old village with a population around 900. Excavations have shown that there was a farm there in the Viking age (around year 900). Tradition says that Black Death or the plague killed everyone but a single little girl in the village in 1349. Unfortunately I don't know who sent this card, but I am glad to have it. The stamp , from 2009, is one of a set of three featuring gymnastics. This is not my first Faroe Islands card, but I am always impressed with the socked on the nose cancellation.

Card # 3 comes from Tuvalu. The card shows a Sooty-tern. It comes to me from the Tuvalu Philatelic Bureau Staff. It was written out on Feb 18, postmarked Feb 20 , but only arrived in my mail box a few days ago. I wonder where it's been all these months. Good thing it is stamped AIR MAIL. The stamp is from 2006 and is from a definitive set of 12 featuring corals.The next card is from Melbourne, Australia. It shows a Melbourne landmark, the oldest and most famous train station in Melbourne. It is Flinders Street Station, built in the early 1900s. Monica, a young Postcrosser sent this card and she used a wonderful stamp to get it here. It commemorates 100 years since the first Australian successfully flew an Australian designed and constructed powered aircraft. It was issued this year as part of a souvenir sheet issued for London 2010. It's a beautiful sheet and one I wouldn't mind having in my collection. Thanks Monica .

Today's final card is from The Netherlands. It shows 4 members of the Dutch Royal Family. This is another Postcrossing card , sent by Sandra. The stamp is just the regular, normal priority stamp showing the world in a heart shape.
Thanks Sandra.

That's the update for this time. Take care.

No comments: