Friday, June 11, 2010

Libya, South Africa and Mexico








This update won't be my usual. Yes, I do have a few cards to show, but I won't have much commentary about them. First up will be a couple of cards from Libya. All of them are courtesy of Omran. The first one shows a statue of Septimius Severus , a Roman Emperor who reigned from 193 until his death in 211. The other cards all show different architecture in Tripoli. Most important for me on these cards are the stamps that Omran used. As a stamp collector who has a topical collection of aircraft on stamps , these are just superb. They are all from a 1984 set of 16 celebrating the 40th anniversary of ICAO ( International Civil Aviation Organization ) . Thanks to Omran I now have 9 of the 16 stamps in the set. I can only hope to get the others, especially the DC3 and the Constellation.

Next card up is from South Africa. It was sent by a Postcrosser named Natasja. What better day to show a South Africa card than today, the first day of The World Cup in South Africa. The stamp used is from a 2009 mini sheet of 4 showcasing African gemstones, in this case Jasper.
Finally today is a card from Mexico. It shows a Spanish church atop the ruins of a Pre-Columbian pyramid with the volcano Popocatepetl in the distance. Also sent by a Postcrosser, the card has a number of stamps attached. However , I use the term stamps loosely in this case. The large one on the right is certainly a stamp. It is from a 2009 mini sheet if 5 featuring the archeology of Tajin, located near Veracruz. The other three on the left are open to interpretation. They are sold in the post offices in Mexico. I can attest to this from my recent trip to a post office in Acapulco. I even purchased a complete sheet of 50 celebrating 100 years of aviation in Mexico. As I mentioned above, the lady that served me there, also was selling these as individual stamps. I have recently seen this type on other postcards on various blogs. But, I have a feeling they are some type of TB seal, with that red symbol in the right corner. Anyone who has any thoughts on this , I would be happy to hear from you. Leave your comment below.

That's all for today. Take care.

No comments: