Sunday, October 20, 2019

People On Cards

BLOG  #  1425

Well people, today it's all people as planned . Some real, some not real !

We'll start the day with King Ludwig II of Bavaria. He became king at age 18 and was king for 22 years until his death in 1886. He was a strange fellow, to many he was the Mad King, to others the Swan King. He is quoted as saying " I wish to forever remain an enigma, both to myself and others " . True words indeed. He died under strange, mysterious circumstances on June 13, 1886 . Some say he was indeed murdered.



A German Postcrosser named Hannes sent this card along, using  one of the quite often seen Flower definitives.

 


Next is this beautiful Air Hostess from Air Baltic. She is one of 485 cabin crew at the airline.



Jean Pierre sent this card from Riga, and it has a map of Air Baltic's flights system on the reverse of the card. The stamp , issued in 2019, commemorates the 100th Anniversary of the Art Academy of Latvia.




My next card is also from Latvia. However I'm not too sure of the card's meaning. First I thought she might be a nun or a nurse but I think I'm wrong on both counts. Maybe someone who knows the language will leave a comment and sort the card's meaning out for the rest of us. I also thought it might be something about fake items or fraud of some kind. She is holding a pair of Ray Ban glasses and maybe wondering if they are real or a knockoff. I have no idea.



The stamp is from 2015 and is 1 of 2 in a set showing Latvian Birds.




Next is a card showing a couple from Lithuania. Not sure if they're dancing or just hanging around. I don't seem to be sure of much today.



Dalia used a stamp from 2015 showing a Lithuanian Bridge.




Next is a lady relaxing on some smooth rocks by the shore. It is a photo by Klaus Ender.



Sabine used 2 of the long Flower definitive set.




Now we have a shopkeeper in Hong Kong. No doubt you can find everything you want and even some you might not want in his shop or the next one to it.



Cora used an Airmail stamp from 2019.



Now , here's a card from Korea. It shows an Iris Fairy. This is an illustration from the 1934 book A Flower Fairy Alphabet by Cicely Mary Barker. It`s a book of illustrated poems, in which fairies introduce the letters of the alphabet by describing the flowers among which they live. This is the poem for the Iris.

I am Iris : I`m the daughter
Of the marshland and the water.
Looking down, I see the gleam
Of the clear and peaceful stream;
Water-lilies large and fair
With their leaves are floating there;
All the water-world I see,
And my own face smiles at me.




Eunbin used these stamps:  The 2 on the left are Flora- Bird stamps from 1979. The middle stamp is 1 of 2 issued in 1999 celebrating World Heritage Sites in South Korea. The stamp on the right is dated 1984 but was issued in 1983. It is 1 of 2 stamps issued for the International Stamp Exhibition  Philakorea 84. It marked the 100th Anniversary of the Korean Postal System.




That`s all the People for this time. Thank for today`s cards go out to Sabine, Dalia, Hannes, Jean Pierre, Cora and Eunbin. Thanks for dropping in and do do it again. Take care.



No comments: