Friday, March 14, 2014

The Great Wall, Edinburgh Of the Seven Seas and More

Hello again. Anyone who read the last installment of this blog will remember I mentioned how many cards on average I receive per day. Well this past week kind of blows that idea up. For this current 5 day week , Mon-Fri, I have received 2 postcards. You know the expression "the cheque is in the mail " , well I'm sure in my case "the postcards are in the mail ".  

So let's get to the postcards I do have. The first is from China and shows the Badaling section of the Great Wall of China . This section is  the most visited section of the Great Wall, approximately 50 miles (80 km) northwest of Beijing city . The portion of the wall running through the site was built in 1504 during the Ming Dynasty . The highest point of Badaling is Beibalou  approximately 1,015 metres (3,330 ft) above sea level.



Bruce used a 2004 Bird definitive , 1 of 2 in the set.

 

Edinburg Of the Seven Seas, Tristan da Cunha, South Atlantic Ocean. How is that for an address?
Tristan da Cunha  is the most remote  inhabited archipelago in the world, lying 2,816 kilometres (1,750 mi) from the nearest land, South Africa, and 3,360 kilometres (2,088 mi) from South America. Tristan da Cunha is part of the British overseas territory of  Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha.  This includes Saint Helena 2,430 kilometres (1,510 mi) to its north and equatorial Ascension Island  some 3,730 kilometres (2,318 mi) to the north of Tristan. The island has a permanent population of 275 (2009 figures).

The capital, Edinburgh of the Seven Seas is regarded as the most remote permanent settlement on Earth, being 1,350 miles (2173 kilometres) from the nearest human settlement, on Saint Helena.






This card is from the Tristan Post & Tourism Department. They used a stamp from 2013 showing some residents returning home in 1963. 2013 is the 50th anniversary of that Homecoming.  The 1961 eruption of Queen Mary's Peak forced the evacuation of the entire population to England.



You know , Tristan da Cunha is on my list. I have a small list of places that I would really love to see before it's all over. Strangely  they are all islands - Tristan, St. Helena, Pitcairn, and Easter Island . A guy can dream, can't  he ?  Of course, there are other places but none seem so exotic or remote as these four. The Falklands were on that list, but I was lucky enough to get there and I loved every minute.

Stand back , we're coming in, is what these gals could be saying. I do like the swimming caps though. I'm sure they will make a comeback.



Marijam from the Netherlands used a couple of Animal stamps, from 2013.



. I think I'll leave it at that today. Thanks for the cards going out to Bruce, Marijam and Tristan Tourism. See you all again soon.

1 comment:

viridian said...

Tristan is on my bucket list too. Saw you blog listed on Postcardy's blog and saw Edinburgh of the Seven Seas and came over for a visit.
If you like reading and blogging about stamps, I invite you to visit my blog and possibly contribute to Sunday Stamps. It's at http://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com/