Monday, September 30, 2019

Cersei Lannister, Victoria and French Polynesia

BLOG #  1421

Hello again. Since my update last week, Winter has arrived in Alberta. Yes I know it's only the end of September, I guess someone should tell Mother Nature. Here in Airdrie we had a snowy weekend, and now have about 10 cm of snow on the ground. Strangely the more south one goes the more snow that fell. Down near Waterton Lakes National Park, near the U.S. border 60-90 cm of the white stuff  .  Unbelievable !  Now I need a holiday. That leads to my first card of the day.

Tahiti, French Polynesia. Sounds like a place I'd love to be right now instead of looking out on all this snow. My card is compliments of Jenny, a Postcrosser living in Papeete. Sounds like a tough life. Jenny's card is a look at one of the wild white sandy beaches  of Tahiti .



Jenny used 2 stamps on her card. The stamp on the left was issued in 2018 and is 1 of 3 in a set of Flora & Fauna of French Polynesia. The right stamp from 2018 shows Taputapuatea, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.



I'm sure many readers know that I've collected stamps for many , many years. Over the years I've concentrated on various topics and countries. One of my favourites has , for many years,  been French Polynesia. The stamps are always interesting and beautiful, I have assembled a great collection of French Polynesia. About the only thing that could make it better, would be me in Tahiti purchasing a few prime issues .


The Empress Hotel in beautiful Victoria , Canada is the focus of my next card. My lovely Teena and I visited Victoria a few weeks ago and of course Teena saw fit to send me a card, as always. We have stayed in The Empress before but not this trip. This time it was a 114 year old Bed & Breakfast called the Beaconsfield Inn. And no, that's not Teena and I in the carriage.



Teena used a stamp from the Sweet Canada series of 5, issued in April of this year. This stamp set showcases 5 of Canada's traditional desserts. On Teena's card is the Nanaimo Bar, a a no-bake dessert named after the city of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. The Nanaimo Bar is a crumb crust of chocolatey coconut topped with a rich, creamy custard covered with a layer of chocolate.


The card received a nice postmark showing Fisgard Lighthouse, built in 1860 , the first lighthouse on Canada's west coast.

Getting back to the Nanaimo Bar for a second - they are quite tasty, however My Lovely Teena has perfected a better version and makes them quite often. Strangely,  she calls them "Glenn's Cookies " . Maybe they'll be on a stamp some years down the road.


Now here's a card showing a stamp from the Game of Thrones set issued by England's Royal Mail. This one pictures Cersei Lannister. Cersei was my favourite character on Games of Thrones. Although a tad evil, alright more than just a tad, I was hoping she would end up on the Iron Throne. Instead she met her doom and Bran the Broken was the ultimate throne winner. I'll always remember Cersei say to Ned Stark " When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground. " She certainly found this out.


Peggy & Neville sent this card and used 3 stamps. On the left is just one more of the long running Machin definitives. The middle stamp, 1 of 6 from 2007 commemorating the Queen's Diamond Wedding Anniversary. The right stamp is from a 2009 set of 4 showcasing U.K Royal Mail Boxes.



Too bad they received the ugly pen cancel. Just another case of the Great Stamp Defacer striking again.


I think I'll call it a day here. Today I have to thank Jenny, Peggy & Neville and My Lovely Teena for cards. See you again soon.



No comments: