Sunday, April 22, 2018

More From the Pile On the Desk

I'm back again with a few more cards from the pile on the desk. Today is Sunday, sunny and warm and I'm waiting for the ballgame to start in about an hour or so. Just hope the Blue Jays have a little more life than they did yesterday.
Now it's time for those cards, I think. Again , like yesterday, no particular order, just random.

Ostende, Belgium is first up . Ostende is often called " the Queen of the Belgian Seaside " , as it's known for its long beach and promenade. Gerda's card gives a look at the Venetian colonnade or Royal Galleries. It is over 380 metres long with the Thermae Palace Hotel sitting atop the central section.



Gerda used 3 stamps on her card. On the left is one from a set of 20 issued back in 2000 for the 20th Century. In the middle is a 2001 stamp called Young Philatelists. I'm not quite sure what that design has to do with young stamp collectors. Then, on the right is a 2017 Butterfly stamp.




The Bamboo Bridge in Kampong Cham, a city in southeast Cambodia , is shown on my next card. The city , on the Mekong River is known for its French colonial buildings. The iconic bamboo bridge has been built, using roughly 50,000 pieces of bamboo every dry season for decades. Last year may have been it last, I'm not really sure. A new modern bridge, Kizuna Bridge, has been constructed just 2 kms south of the bamboo bridge.



Ravindra , who was visiting Cambodia, sent this card along. He used 2 stamps from a 2009 set of 5 featuring World Heritage Preah Vihear Temple.




A Postcrosser from the Netherlands sent this next card from Rotterdam. A lady and her bike. I'm not sure just how easy it is to ride a bike in those high heels.  But I guess it can be done. I remember a number of years ago, My lovely Teena and I were walking up Diamond head in Oahu and there was a young lady in similar high heels in front of us , and she made it to the top . I was impressed.



Maria used a 2017 stamp from a set of 10. The set was called For Special Moments.




Now it's a card from Spain and this one shows the medieval Pedret Bridge, dating from 1286  and crossing the Llobregal River. It's a stone bridge formed by a large central pointed arch.




This is a Postcrossing card sent by Josep and Assumpta. They have a great postcard blog called " Letters and postcards from all over " . You can check it out right here .

The stamps - on the left is a 2017 Europa stamp featuring Palaces and Castles. On the right is King Felipe VI , a 2015 stamp.




My last card for today is from Costa Rica and features the Mono Titi. This little primate the Mono Titi or the grey crowned red-backed squirrel monkey is the smallest primate in Costa Rica. They have been listed as Critically Endangered since 1996 and then Endangered in 2008. Their numbers have changed drastically over the years. In 1983 they numbered around 200,000, in 2006 just 4,000 and now it's just around 2,000.



David used 2 stamp from 2017. They are both America UPAEP Issues- Tourist Destinations.

This issue- America UPAEP stamps is a new one for me. I really didn't know they even existed. And they have existed since 1989- member countries of the Postal Union of the Americas, Spain and Portugal, issuing them. Guess I wasn't paying attention to that one.

 Well that's it for another day, and the Jays aren't doing too well today either. Thanks for cards today go to Ravindra, Gerda, Maria, David and Josep & Assumpta. Take care now, drop by again soon. I might even be here again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Singapore!
I would like to check if you are selling the Bamboo bride postcard posted on your blog. I collect bamboo, coconut, bonsai vintage postcards preferable used. we can exchange if you are interested.
Kindly Let me know.
HotelTrainingManager@gentingdream.com