Thursday, May 25, 2017

Hong Kong, Honolulu and Paris

Welcome back Postcarders. I guess I should really call you deltiologists. I have a few cards to highlight here today.

Let's start with a card from Hong Kong. It's a panorama of Hong Kong and Kowloon at night. Ana's card brings back some great memories for me - it wasn't that long ago - only six months ago that I was in Hong Kong.



In addition to this card being from Ana, I could also say it's from Iris. She wrote a message , saying she is a Postcrossing friend of Ana and that they met-up in Hong Kong.
Ana used a 2011 stamp showing the Legislative Council of Hong Kong. The The card was posted at the City One Shatin Post Office and received a wonderful cancellation.




Aloha from Hawaii. The Island Hula Honeys are inspired by vintage art of Hawaii, from around 1950, the beauty of the islands and the people of Hawaii captured the world's imagination and interest. They are icons of paradise - part sass, part fun and all Aloha.



This card is from My Lovely Teena. We were recently in Honolulu for a short visit and as always, she dropped a card in the mail to me.  Mahalo Teena. Posted at the Saratoga Road Post Office, Teena's card received a Honolulu - Waikiki cancel. Teena's stamps are all from 2016. On the left is one of the Star Trek Forever stamps. The other two are from the Wonder Woman set.



Les Invalides in Paris is featured on this next card. It is a complex of buildings in the 7th arrondissement of Paris. It dates from the 1670s  and contains museums and monuments all relating to the military history of France. In 1861, Napoleon's remains were entombed in a stone sarcophagus in the crypt under the dome at Les Invalides.



Dominique used a lovely old stamp again. This one is from 1969. I just love these older stamps. In my opinion today's modern stamp pale in comparison to the older ones. The stamp shows Rogier Van der Weyden's Portrait of Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. I do believe you can see the painting in The Louvre Museum.





Here's the last card for today. It's another one from Waikiki, from my recent visit. Just between you and me, the Waikiki beach of today is a little different from what's shown on this card.


There are 2 WPA Poster stamps and a domestic Postcard rate stamp on here.

 

That's it for this time. Sometimes a short one is just as good and that's what we have this time. Mahalo for today's cards go out to Ana and Iris, My Lovely Teena and Dominique.  Take care .

No comments: