Saturday, February 1, 2014

Hello February

Yesterday was the last of January and today it's Hello February. Let's start this off with the Danish Royals. I have received a number of cards with these good folks on them, but they always arrive from another country, not Denmark. A short time ago I showed one from Finland and today's entry is from Germany. Flensburg in fact. I guess that's the key as to why this card is from Germany. Peggy wrote that she lives in Flensburg and it is the northern-most city directly at the edge of Denmark. Flensburg is a town in the north of the German state of Schleswig-Holstein. Now , I could tell you a great story about Schleswig-Holstein , but it would be at the expense of my English Literature teacher way back in grade 10, I think. I guess she thought that she couldn't be wrong, while a student ( Me ) couldn't be  right. Maybe I'll save it for another time but it has stayed with me for almost 50 years.
Oh yes, the card. I won't give the names here but they make a great group, dog included.



Peggy used a couple of the now familiar Flower definitives along with a nice 2011 stamp highlighting a Glider in the Wasserkuppe, the highest peak in the Rhon Mountains.




Postboxes are up next, lots of colors , sizes and shapes, and all from Norway.But again the card itself is from the Netherlands. Miranda came across this great display of postboxes on a recent trip to Norway.

 

Miranda used a couple of small Christmas stamps , one from 2013 and one from 2011.



Here now is George Washington,  the first President of the United States, the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. In this 1772 portrait by Charles Willson Peale, he is dressed in the uniform of a British Colonial Colonel. I guess in 1772 that wasn't  so bad. Today, this painting hangs in the Chapel of Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia.



 Rich used 2 stamps from a set of 12 issued in 2011 showcasing Industrial Design. Not really my favourite designed stamps.




The main railway terminal of Lviv, Ukraine is featured on this next card. The station dates from 1904 and was designed by Polish architect Wladyslaw Sadlowski.  The city of Lviv itself dates from 1240.  Just a little older than me.



Oleg used an Europa stamp from 2013 , 1 of a set of 2 Postal Transports. 




A Vanity Fair cover from January 1922 makes up my next postcard. All I can say is "Thank God for tubeless tires ".   I don't think this dude is going to get a second date.



Karen from Detroit, who just happens to work at Ford, used a number of stamps here. Three American Toleware definitives from 2007, along with a 2008 Tiffany Lamp and a 2007 Navajo Jewelry definitive ,  both of which you can't see, then there's 2 great baseball stamps. Ted Williams and Joe Dimaggio from the 2012 set of 4. Perhaps I'll get the other 2 someday, Willie Stargell and Larry Doby. I did have the pleasure of seeing Willie Stargell play though in a game against the Montreal Expos in Montreal many years ago. 








That was to be my final card for this time, but let's do one more. A nice aviation related card with an aviation stamp. What more could one want ?
The card is from Russia and shows 5 different civilian and military aircraft circling the globe.






Yuliya used a 2012 aviation stamp. It commemorates the 100th Anniversary of the Russian Air Force. 




So ends another update. Thanks for cards go out to Karen,  Yuliya, Rich, Oleg, Peggy and Miranda. 

Hope you have enjoyed looking at these cards and stamps. Come back again soon, and I'll have more of the same. Take care.
 

No comments: