Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Five Cards From Five Countries

Here we go again with another update and as the title of the piece says , five from five, no special theme . Cards are from Spain, Belarus, Russia, Netherlands and U.S.A. Now before I get to the first card , I just want to mention that National Postcard Week ended yesterday. My final 3 cards to celebrate the week went to Macedonia, Australia and U.S.A. That makes 7 cards for the week. Of course I mailed other cards but these seven were specifically prepared for Postcard Week.

Today's first card is an unusual shape- Round. I haven't received many round postcards in the 6 years of my collecting. This card , posted in Barcelona shows the resident' stairway of the Casa Batllo. It was built in 1877 and remodelled between 1904 and 1906 by Antoni Gaudi. It is a strange looking building where straight lines were avoided whenever possible. It certainly looks like an interesting place . David used 2 new 2012 stamps. They are 2 of 3 self-adhesives in a Civil Values set.

Next up is a card from Belarus. It is from a Postcrosser and shows an old view of Minsk. With a population of over 1,800,000, it is the largest city and the capital city of the country. The stamp , issued in 2010 is 1 of 3 issued to commemorate Olympic winners from Belarus at the Winter Games in Vancouver.

Card 3 shows the air terminal in Volgograd. The airport here provides air links to major Russian cities as well as Antalya, Yerevan and Aktau. Alla, another Postcrosser , used a number of large Russian stamps from 2006, 2008 and 2011. The stamp on the top left is 1 of 5 in a set showing Yakovlev aircraft and the one shown on the stamp is a Yak-42. The stamp on the right is 1 of 2 in a helicopters set . Finally the bottom stamp is from 2011 and is 1 of 3 issued for different regions.

Any guesses where this next card , with the windmill, is from ? Little too hard, I think not, The Netherlands. Anna sent this card after reading in a past update of my wish to receive the 3 Postcrossing stamps that service Europe. I already have the 3 Postcrossing stamps issued for international mailing.So now I have the complete set. Now thanks to Anna I have the complete set of 6. Here's the 3 Europe rate stamps.

Today's last card is from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.A. Many cruises depart this port for the Caribbean, hence the title on the front of the card - Cruisin'- Fort Lauderdale. My Lovely Teena and I have actually departed on a cruise of The Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale. Jean Pierre used 3 of the 2012 Aloha shirts stamps on this one.

So there's another update in the books. Thanks for reading and thanks to David, Alla, Anna and Jean Pierre for their cards. I can't do it without you people and your cards.

No comments: