Friday, August 26, 2011

Cards From Evan, Ryann and Sara, Jean Pierre, David, Ana, Ravindra and 2 Postcrossers

Hello again. Well, my cards today mostly come from named individuals. Of course all my cards come from individuals but some are more often mentioned than others. These are the ones that keep me going with postcards, stamps, and covers ( First Flight and First Day) . Very few days go by during which I don't find something in my mail box from these good people. Very BIG THANKS go to Ana in Macedonia, Leslie in Turkey, David in Ireland, Michael in Australia/Hong Kong, Jean Pierre in France and Bruce in South Africa and Ravindra in Sri Lanka. Now on to the cards of today.

My first card is from Canada, Niagara Falls in fact. I don't receive many Canada cards so this is somewhat of a rarity. It's from Evan and Ryann, 2 of my grand kids and their mom, Sara. It is a great view of Canadian Horseshoe Falls with The Maid of The Mist. My Lovely Teena and I along with our 2 sons were on the Maid of The Mist many years ago. And, yes you do get wet. I don't think I have to say anymore about Niagara Falls, do I ? Here's the stamp . Sara used a 2007 lighthouse definitive to mail her card.

Next up is a card from Isle of Man. On it we see The Laxey Wheel, the largest surviving working waterwheel in the world. It was built in 1854, in the village of Laxey. It's a must see for all visitors to the Isle of Man. Jean Pierre used a total of 5 stamps on this card. Four of them are from a set f 5 flower stamps issued in 1998. The other stamp is from a set of 8 issued in 2009. They showcase the photography of Chris Killip.

CONTEST CONTEST CONTEST

This card from Isle of man is the 1900th card I have received since starting this way back in 2006. I think it's now time for another of my famous contests, so famous that only a very few ever enter. The contest is as follows: You have to try and select the date that I receive Card # 2000. Here are some clues to keep in mind. I received card 1900 on Aug 08. Today , Aug 26th I received card # 1943. I usually receive an average of 39 cards per month, however so far in Aug I have received 57 cards. If you guess the correct date, you get a great prize. If no one guesses the correct date, then the first entry with the nearest date to the correct date wins. Any ties will be broken by random draw by My Lovely Teena. Here is The Prize. A Mint Copy of The Blue Whale, Canada's High Value Definitive, issued on October 4, 2010. This is both the biggest and highest stamp denomination Canada Post has ever produced. Of course , if the winner wants to receive it on a postcard or cover , that can be arranged. Otherwise you get it Mint, Unhinged.

So get your guess in sooner than later, it might mean your guess winning or not. Sent your guess to gemsworldpostcards@shaw.ca
GOOD LUCK

Card # 3 for this time- David sent this card of Turks and Caicos Islands from Cockburn Town, Grand Turk Island. Cockburn Town is the capital of the Turks and Caicos . It was founded in 1681 and is known for its long narrow streets and old street lamps. David's card gives us an aerial view of Grand Turk Island. The stamp he used is dated 2007 but was actually issued in 2008 as 1 of 4 stamps in a multi sheet of entries in a underwater photo competition.

A card from Ana is next. Ana was recently on vacation in Spain and took the time to send me a postcard. It is a general view of Toledo, which is located in central Spain, about 70 km south of Madrid. It was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1986 for its extensive cultural and monumental heritage as one of the former capitals of the Spanish Empire and place of coexistence of Christian, Jewish and Muslim cultures, as well as the place where religious persecutions were held against the Jews. Ana used a 2011 International Women's Day stamp.You can see Ana's postcard blog here.

My next card is from Sri Lanka and was sent by Ravindra. It is a view of the Botanical Gardens in Peradeniya , near the historical city of Kandy. Looks like a beautiful place to take a relaxing walk. Ravindra used 3 great stamps from 2010 and 2011.You can find him here and here.

Another card, this one from a Postcrosser in France. It's a great black and white card and could even be a top favorite of mine. It's a photo taken by French photographer Robert Doisneau, back in 1947. It is titled The Typing of the Vert Galant. Compare it to today. The lady would most likely be using a laptop or be reading a kindle, certainly no typewriter would be in sight. I like the Eiffel Tower/Paris handstamp up next to the 2 Marianne definitives.
While checking out this Doisneau photo, I came across one called Hell 1952 and one called The Cellist 1957. Both of these are superb and would make great postcards.

The final card for today is from China. Postcrosser Chen Qi sent this card of Beijing Capital International Airport Terminal 3. In order to serve the Beijing Olympic Games , Terminal 3 was built in 2008. The 2,900 meter long , 790 meter wide and 45 meter high Terminal 3 , covering an area of 986,000 square meters, is the largest single terminal in the world. Chen Qi used a nice assortment of stamps on this card. The 2 on the right and the top center stamp are from a set of 4 Views of Hong Kong issued in 1995. The far left stamp is from a set of 6 issued in 2008 called Summer Palace.




Well folks, that's all the cards for this time. But I'm not quite finished as I want to show a couple of choice items I received in the mail a week or so ago. Leslie in Ankara was nice enough to drop these in the mail to me. She knows that I like aircraft on stamps so picked these up for me. They commemorate a hundred years of the Turkish Air Force. First we have a First Day Cover, the first day was June 01, 2011. It It is franked with a Souvenir Sheet of 4 military stamps. Next is an imperforate , numbered vertical Souvenir Sheet of 4 different military aircraft stamps. Now lastly is the Souvenir Sheet as shown on the First Day Cover. These are just perfect and will be great additions to my collections. And let's not forget the great folder they came in. Here is the front and back of the folder.Thank you so much, Leslie.

O. K . That my update , a rather long one , I think. Don't forget the contest, The prize is really beautiful . I know you'll want it.
Thanks to Ravindra, Jean Pierre, David, Ana, Leslie and Evan, Ryann and Sara.


No comments: