Friday, January 14, 2011

A Three Card Update

I guess it's certainly time I got back here live. It's just been so busy this past week. Although when I look back , I'm not quite sure why. Anyway, I have received quite a number of postcards and I hope to get to most of them by the end of the weekend. I mentioned in the last update that I had received 14 cards last week, well how does 15 sound this week. Twenty nine cards so far this month and we're just two weeks into it. As you can see I do have lots of stuff for the weekend, so be sure to return.

On to the cards. My three cards today come from The U.S. , Taiwan and Russia. The U.S.A. card is a 2009 prestamped postcard to which the sender has added other postage to make up the current rate, I guess. This card shows Ozzie and Harriet in a reproduction of their 2009 44 cent stamp as they appeared on their TV show, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. Bandleader Ozzie Nelson , his wife Harriet and their sons David and Rocky, played versions of themselves on a set designed to replicate their real life home. Comedy arose from their every day problems and misunderstandings as their sons grew up and married. Interestingly the 44 cent version of the stamp on the front is replaced on the reverse with a 28 cent prepaid stamp. The other stamps include an older 6 cent flag stamp and 1 of 5 automobiles stamps from a 2008 set. This one shows a 1957 Pontiac Safari station wagon.

Next up is Taiwan. On this card we can see The Taipei Confucius Temple, located in the Datong District of Taipei. Parts of the temple building , including the Confucius' palace, the side door, and the saints shrine were finished in 1881. The temple has become one of the city's main sightseeing spots. A Pauline sent this card and gave a reference to a blog called Collect ROC . As you can see the blog is operated by a Paul so what gives I don't know. It is a good blog though, with some great aviation related postcards. The three stamps are great topical stamps. All are from 2006 and are parts of a cats and dogs set.

Last card for today comes to us from St. Petersburg, Russia. Every time I show a card from this city to my lovely Teena, she always asks, "when are you going to take me to St Petersburg ?'' I really wish I had an answer for her. This is a great card , related to stamps, post office, philately, postcards, etc all stuff we love. Issued by the A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications, we can see on the card, a street letter box in St. Petersburg from the end of the 19th century, a letter carrier delivering mail on bicycle at the beginning of the 20th century and a 1900s St. Petersburg postman. A great card indeed. The stamps are all definitives from 2008 and 2009. I do like the block of 4 showing the moose, though.

That's all I'll say today. A rather short update, but as I mentioned earlier, if you don't come back tomorrow and Sunday, you will surely miss some great stuff. Take care,
Leave a comment if you wish.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

The USA card is pre-printed with the postage for the current domestic postcard postage, since it is a postcard, but the set of stamps the card commemorates is 44 cents, the normal letter rate. ^_^ The sender used additional postage because it costs 75 cents to send a card to Canada.