Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Antarctica But Not Antarctica and Finnish Wishes

I'm back again , this time with a much smaller update. I have just 2 cards for this time. They come from Chile and Finland. First up is Chile.

Here we go. This card, which shows us a Humpback Whale off the Antarctica coast comes from Punta Arenas , Chile. Punta Arenas is the southernmost city on Earth overlooking the Straits of Magellan. This is another card from my brother Dale and Punta Arenas was supposed to be his jumping off place for the Antarctic continent. Sadly, his flight to Antarctica was cancelled due to weather. I don't know for sure if he managed to get a flight another day, but I rather doubt it, as his schedule was quite tight. Dale used 1 of 6 stamps in a souvenir sheet commemorating 40 years of Chile's Antarctic Base. The sheet , issued in 2010, is an absolutely beautiful stamp sheet and one I would love to add to my collection. It has a number of stamps featuring aircraft , which I collect in a topical collection.

Now for the Finland card. It is a little late but not too late. It has a nice winter scene and wishes me A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year, in Finnish. It's still Winter , it's still the New Year, so the card seems right on. Thanks Hannele. Happy Postcrossing to you, too. Hannele used a 2008 stamp commemorating Kimi Raikkonen's F1 World Championship.It is the one stamp in a souvenir sheet.
Now I'm no expert on F1 racing , so it's just another stamp to me. However, I believe Ana might be just such an expert as she has blogged about it a few times. Or maybe she's just an expert on Kimi Raikkonen. Anyway, it's a fine stamp.

As I said , it' a small update , and it is. Hopefully , I'll be back here again tomorrow.

No comments: