Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Small 3 Card Update

It's Dec 23rd and all is well. Most everything is now done for Christmas, so I am able to sneak in another update, all be it a small one. Just three cards for today and they come from the U.S.A. , Canada, and South Africa. So let's get right to it.

First up is the U.S. This one I received from Postcrosser Carlton of Bangor , Maine. It shows us the Thomas Hill Standpipe. Built in 1897 it is the oldest wooden covered water tower in the U.S. And, it's still in use today. Bangor is the home of horror writer Stephen King. Carlton used 2 current 2010 stamps including the Katharine Hepburn stamp and the William Brennan stamp. The latter is from a set of 4 featuring Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States. Now I know this is like chaulk and cheese and that they are not related in any way, but I prefer the Audrey Hepburn stamp issued by Canada in 2008. I think it's just a superb stamp and I have shown it here for comparison.

Card # 2 comes from Edmonton, the capital of the province of Alberta. It is roughly 300 km north of Airdrie, where I am located. It shows us an evening view of the city skyline with reflection in the North Saskatchewan River. Edmonton's River Valley is approximately 21 times larger than New York City's Central Park . It is the largest stretch of urban parkland in North America. A fact I did not know that until John's card arrived. On this card we can see 1 of 5 historic watermills stamps issued in 2010. I very seldom profile a Canadian postcard in this blog, simply because I don't receive them. Why, I'm not sure ? In the 4 years of this blog, I'd say I have only received about 5 or 6 cards from Canada.

Today's last card is the South African card. It gives us a look at the King of the Jungle. Chantal sent this card and says that she comes from a long line of Krugers. A short while ago I received another card from South Africa that highlighted Kruger National Park. Any connection, I'm not sure. Chantal used 1 of 10 stamps issued in 2010 all of which are related to fishing. This one pays the international airmail small letter rate. All 10 are in a souvenir sheet shaped like a fish. Pretty unique I think. I have included it here for all to see.

That's all I'm writing today. As I said earlier a small update. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and I will have my usual update for that day. I will find the time somewhere. Hope you can join me then. Take care

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Just wanted to say hi, Glenn. I've been meaning to look up your blog and see what you write. You see, I've been delivering the mail in Windsong for about a month now. You help keep my route interesting...always something new coming through!

Merry Christmas,

Shannon