Saturday, December 4, 2010

Holyroodhouse , Saudi Arabia and The Singapore Flyer

Here I am again with a few of the cards that arrived this past week. I mentioned in my last update that I had 6 remaining. Well here are 3 of them, that means I have 3 left for some day when I strike out at the mailbox. Cards this time come from Scotland, Saudi Arabia and Singapore.

Without further ado, let's look at the Scotland card. It shows The Royal Dining room in The Palace of Holyroodhouse. The Palace of Holyroodhouse, the official residence in Scotland of Her Majesty The Queen, stands at the end of Edinburgh's Royal Mile against the spectacular backdrop of Arthur's Seat. This fine baroque palace is closely associated with Scotland's rich history.

The Palace is perhaps best known as the home of Mary, Queen of Scots, and as the setting for many of the dramatic episodes in her turbulent reign. Mary was married at Holyroodhouse and witnessed the brutal killing of her secretary Rizzio by her jealous second husband, Lord Darnley, in her private apartments. The Palace briefly served as the headquarters of Bonnie Prince Charlie during the 1745 uprising.

Today the State Apartments are used regularly by The Queen and other members of the Royal Family for State ceremonies and official entertaining.

David from Dublin sent this card , along with another from Scotland, which hasn't arrived yet. He used one of the train stamps from the set of 6 issued on August 19th . Just a FYI, Holyrood is the name of a small scenic town in my home province of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Card # 2 , from Saudi Arabia has been somewhat difficult to get. Not this particular card of course , but a stamped card from from Saudi Arabia has been difficult. This is my 2nd card from there but my first that is actually stamped. My first one was stamped by a postage meter. So I was really glad when this private swap with Ivy Marie was set up. Ivy tells me she has started collecting map cards so I better get one off to her soon. If any of my readers want to help her with her map collection, just drop me an email or comment and I'll pass along her address.
That would be a great surprise for her. Now to her card. It shows a deserted desert village in KSA.

The stamps Ivy used include ( on the left ) a definitive from a large set issued between 1986 and 1998. The other stamp is 1 of 2 issued in 2002 for Yanbu Harbour.

My last card for this time comes from Singapore. It shows a somewhat different view of Singapore's newest attraction, the Singapore Flyer. The Singapore Flyer is the world's largest observation wheel. Standing at a stunning 165m from the ground, the Flyer offers you breathtaking, panoramic views of the Marina Bay, our island city and beyond. There's also a wide range of shops, restaurants, activities and facilities.That's a beautiful bird stamp from 2007 on this card . It shows the Stork-billed Kingfisher.A great stamp for a topical collector .

I'm going to sign off now and with luck I'll be back again on Monday or Tuesday.
Take care and keeps those cards and comments coming.

3 comments:

Ana said...

I have some maps from Montenegro, but i dont know if she is interesting in them being sent from another country, either written and stamped or inside an envelope. Let me know, so i will post some for her if she's interested.

Unknown said...

It is very important that you have shared information through a blog. Your blog is really great. Thank you so much for this
Dilijan Postcode

Unknown said...

Superb kind of work by the author as on this particular topic people needs more precise information and special attention to it. Thanks a lot.
bundi postal code