Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Getting Ready for Take-off

Hello again. I have just a single card update for today. The card is from Fairbanks, Alaska, USA. It was sent by Kris S of PostCardKris fame. It is a card that I can add to my airplane collection. And this one is pretty cool . It is of a float plane somewhere up Alaska way. It shows a curious grizzly cub scouting out his surroundings while perched on the pontoon of a DeHavilland Beaver floatplane. As Kris writes, one must be careful of the pre-flight inspection. I have actually flown on this type of plane while living in Labrador in the 70's. Thanks Kris for this great card.
Kris used a couple of stamps. The definitive flag stamp is from 2007 and the larger commemorative is from Feb 21 ,2009. It is another of the set of 6 marking the 100th anniversary of the modern Civil Rights Movement in The US. The stamp is from a 6 stamp souvenir sheet. It features Oswald garrison Villard and Daisy Gatson Bates. Villard ,1872-1949 , was a founder of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Bates, 1914-1999, mentored nine black students enrolled at all white Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1957.

As I said, just a short 1 card update. Also just an update on my postcarding for March. I received 42 postcards and 27 of these were from Postcrossing. Included in the 42 were 2 new countries in my collection- Mauritania and Anguilla. I guess Hell don't count as a new country. I mailed out 32 cards and 29 of them were through Postcrossing. My received cards were up in March , from 32 in Feb and 33 in Jan. All in all , a good month.
Cheers.

No comments: