Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Canal du Midi, Cairo Mosques and the Trump Shuttle

BLOG   1495 ---  Year 2 of Covid

Hello again. I don`t have many cards for this update, just 2 . It`s just that I want to get this update in before ``you know who`` leaves office tomorrow. I haven`t had much political content on this blog at all, so I`ll just be making a small comment at the end. I think it will suffice. 

My first card is from France. It`s a look at Canal du Midi, a 240 km long canal in southern France. The canal was at one time considered one of the greatest construction works of the 17th century. It connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Mediterranean Sea. The canal was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1996. 


Dominique used a large stamp from 2015 on this card. It is 1 of 2 stamps issued in a Joint Issue with Mexico. The stamps celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Death of Gilberto Bosques Saldvar, Mexican diplomate and former militant in the Mexican Revolution. Gilberto is credited with saving thousands of lives in World War II. As I mentioned the stamps celebrate the 20th anniversary of death, but I prefer to think of it as the 123rd Anniversary of Gilberto`s Birth. But that`s just me !


My second card arrived from Cairo, Egypt. It`s a look at two mosques in the city. The Muhammad Ali Mosque, located in the Citadel of Cairo was completed in 1848. The Al Hussein Masque was originally built in 1154. It was later reconstructed in 1874. It is located on one of the holiest Islamic sites in Egypt. 


 Jean Pierre used a small definitive from 2017 along with 2 stamps issued in 2020. They were issued for the Combat Corona Campaign - A Tribute to the White Army.  


I know many countries have issued stamps to bring attention to Covid-19 but this is the first I have received. 

Now before I end off today, I want to show an old picture I recently came across. The picture doesn`t need much comment as you can see. It wasn`t a great way for a flight to end and when I looked at it, the only thing that came to mind was the way his presidency is ending tomorrow. The Trump Shuttle crashed on landing and his presidency just about crashed and burned. A little history repeating itself ! 


Well that`s all I have for this time. Thanks to Dominique and Jean Pierre for the cards. Be sure to tune in again soon for my next installment. 

We`re still all in it so, wear a mask, wash your hands and keep your distance. Get your vaccine when you can. 

No comments: