Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Postcrossing From San Marino, King Kashyapa's Palace Ruins and The Coca Cola Polar Bears

Blog Post 891

Hey how's 2019 going for you so far ? I know we're only 2 days in, but I hope you have lots to look forward to. I know I do . I have a great cruise coming up soon, lots of grand kid's birthdays, and lots of indoor soccer ( grand kids again ) , and a whole lot more. And that's just in the first two months. Then there's all the great cards that will find their way into my mailbox. Speaking of postcards, here are the first 3 received in 2019, today actually.

Let's start with a Postcrossing Meetup card from San Marino. I don't get many cards from there, this will be just my third. The meetup in Dogana was held on December 15th. The card shows Guaita Tower, the oldest of 3 towers on Mount Titano. Guaita was built in the 11th century and was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list in 2008.



As is the case with most Postcrossing Meetup cards, it is signed by a number of Postcrossing members, 11 for this one. I only recognize one name , Carla, so I'll say this card is from her. Carla is from Genoa and we often swap cards. Carla used 2 fine stamps here. They are 2 of 6 issued to mark the addition of the Old City of San Marino to the UNESCO World Heritage List. 




Today's second card comes from the Island of Sri Lanka. It's a look at the ruins of King Kashyapa's Palace high atop Sigiriya rock.



Ravindra used a nice selection on stamps on this card. On the left is a 2014 stamp celebrating World Children's Day. The top stamp on the right was issued last year, 2018, to celebrate World Post Day. The Kandy Post Office from 1897 is featured . The bottom stamp, from 2015, is 1 of 2 issued to mark the visit of Pope Francis.




So here's the last card for today. It's from Canada, Airdrie in fact, as I posted it myself to secure a Christmas Eve Dec 24th cancel. And that's what I got. 2018-12-24.
It shows a couple of Coca Cola's Polar Bears from the " Always Coca-Cola advertising campaign of 1993. Coke first used Polar Bears in their advertising in 1922.



The stamp is 1 from the Canadian First Responders series from last year.




That completes the blog for this time. Thanks to Ravindra and Carla for their cards. Have a good day, Take Care.



No comments: