Thursday, March 23, 2017

It's Still March and I'm Way Behind

Yes, it's still March and this is just my 2nd update for the month. I don't know where March went , but it slipped away for sure. I won't dwell on that, so I'll just move along with a few cards.

First up is a fine addition to my Airline / Aircraft on Postcards Collection. It's a Condor B737-300, registration D-ABWA . After service with Condor this aircraft found homes with Germania, Delta and Bulgaria Air. Sadly , it met its demise in Feb of 2013 when it was broken up and scrapped.



Ravindra used a nice selection of stamps on this card. THe large stamp in the top right was issued in Jan of this year and commemorates the 50th Anniversary of Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation. The other 4 stamps were issued in Oct of 2016 . They are from a set of 8 Flowers of Sri Lanka.




My next card arrived from the Netherlands and is the latest addition to my still small Manhole Cover Postcard Collection. This is my 5th Manhole Cover card and shows a manhole cover from Himeji Japan. The city is famous for Himeji Castle, often known as White Heron Castle. The prefecture's flower is a species of orchid that looks like a flying bird or heron. This is what you can see on the manhole cover on Barbara's card.



Barbara used a couple of nice stamps here. The stamp at top left was issued this year and is 1 of 10 in a set featuring Dutch Chicken Breeds. The other large stamp on top right is a lenticular motion stamp from 2006. Two stamps were issued showing Winter Olympic Gold Medal Winners. The stamp on my card shows speedskater Ard Schenk. He won 3 Gold Medals at the 1972 Sapporo Games.





Now it's a card from Cambodia. This one brings back some memories from my own recent visit to SE Asia. Ana's card shows us a few Buddhist Monks passing in front of the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh.


Ana used a 2014 stamp showing a Traditional Khmer Dance. It is from a set of 4


 


The last card for today. This one's from France and shows us just a wing of an Air Dolomiti aircraft. You've all heard the expression " a wing and a prayer " , well this is half of it. I guess a wing is  acceptable in my aircraft/airline collection. Works for me.



This card is from a first time swapper in Moirans , France. Nadine used a 2017 Architecture stamp featuring Chateau du Pailly in Haute-Marne. Hopefully this is just one in a long string of swaps with Nadine.



So ends this update, a little shorter than my usual, but so be it. Hopefully it won't another long drought before I'm back again.
Thanks for cards today, go to Ravindra, Barbara, Ana Na Nadine.

No comments: