Tuesday, November 5, 2013

It's Guy Fawkes Day / Night

Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day, and Bonfire Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in Great Britain. It is also observed in my home province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605, when Guy Fawkes ,  a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords . Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life, people lit bonfires around London. Even though I know there won't be any celebrations or bonfires anywhere in Alberta tonight, I still like to remember. Bonfire Night brings back many childhood memories.

No , sadly I don't have a postcard commemorating Bonfire Night, but I'm sure they exist. They exist for just about everything else.

These following cards do exist, so here's the first one for today.

Batter up, ---  sorry wrong sport.    A lady golfer from an earlier era, I think.

Sinikka , a Finnish Postcrosser sent this card. She used a Moomins stamp from a booklet of 6 self adhesives. Now I know that many , many people worldwide love Moomins  , but as a long time stamp collector, I have to say, they are not my cup of tea. I put them in the same philatelic class as Disney stamps. I don't like or collect them , either. 








Flying in next is a ANA Boeing 787 aircraft.  All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd., also known as  ANA, is Japan's largest airline. It is headquartered at the Shiodome City Center in the Shiodome area in Minato, Tokyo, Japan . Ana has 23 B787-8s in service with another 13 on order. 
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is a long-range, mid-size wide-body, twin-engine jet airliner developed by Boeing Commercial Airplanes. Its variants seat 210 to 330 passengers.




I received this card as a thank you for a card I had sent to Katuhiko some time ago. One of four International Letter Writing Stamps was used on the card. I guess postcards count in this case.The stamp set was issued this year.


Next is a card from Pretoria, South Africa. On it we can see a number of buildings and statue dating from the former Republic of Zuid Afrika.


This card is compliments of Jean Pierre who was on his latest trip to South Africa. The 2 stamps on this card would certainly be of interest to bird topical collectors. On the left is a 2010 stamp featuring a Beadwork Bird. It is from a set of 23 definitives. The other stamp was issued in 2011 and features an Olive Bush-shrike. There are 5 in the set.

 

I just have this small update for this time. Thanks going out to Jean Pierre, Katuhiko and Simikka for cards.
Be sure to check back again tomorrow, you never know. Take care.

1 comment:

unicon95 said...

Beautiful card from South Africa there. The stamps look lovely too! I have one from the South African beadwork set too :)