Tuesday, April 10, 2012

No Themes Today- Anything Goes

I thought about going Theme again today, but didn't entertain the thought for long. It's going to be a bit of this , a bit of that and anything else that strikes my fancy. The cards will be as varied at the stamps on them.

Let's start with a card from Portugal. A black and white card featuring an old 1947 Mercedes Benz. An impressive car then , an impressive car now. The Mercedes Benz of today is a sweet car as I'm sure the 1947 model was. I'd go so far as to say, if you can find a 1947 Mercedes Benz today, just buy it. This card is from a Postcrosser who lives near Porto , famous for Port wine. The stamp, sorry , the label highlights 112 the emergency telephone number for the European Union. I guess , the equivalent of 911 over this way. I'm always disappointed when a Postcrosser , or anyone else for that matter , uses a postal label instead of a postage stamp. When I go to a post office I always ask for a stamp , even when sending parcels. Even if it takes extra time , when sending parcels, I still moisten the stamps and stick them on. I guess that comes from a long time as a stamp collector. Anyway I would have preferred a stamp on the card, but what happens in Portugal is out of my control. I am still thankful for the card, so there.

Here's a card from Dili, Timor-Leste. Not a place you get a card from often, so when one arrives you want to share it. This is just my 3rd Timor-Leste card. This one is a view of Dili from off shore. Dili is the capiital, largest city, chief port and commercial centre of the country, with a population of just under 200,000. David from Ireland sent the card along , from his recent trip over that way. The stamp on the left and in the center are 2 of a set of 6 issued Nov 28, 2010 for international Biodiversity Year. All 6 of the stamps show reptiles and amphibians native to Timor-Leste. The stamp on the right was issued in 2002 , 1 of 10 issued to mark Independence.
Mona Lisa, Mona Lisa , what can I say that hasn't already been said. This is a beautiful postcard of a beautiful painting. The Mona Lisa, a half-length portrait of a woman by Leonardo da Vinci, which has been acclaimed as "the best known, the most visited, the most written about, the most sung about, the most parodied work of art in the world." It is located in The Louvre in Paris. Rumiko from Japan is the sender and she used a wonderful aviation stamp. It is from a mini sheet of 10 different stamps issued in 2010 for the 100th Anniversary of Aviation in Japan. It's a really beautiful sheet and one I would love to add to my collection.

Rum Point, Cayman Islands-- Sounds like a good spot to spend a vacation. Rum Point is located on the North side of Grand Cayman Island . It is an area of beautiful water, great sand and lots of trees if you want shade. It's another card from Jean Pierre who visited the island in March. He used ( on the left ) a 2010 stamp featuring a Catboat, from a set of 6. The 2nd stamp was issued in 2100 and also is from a set of 6 featuring shells.
Here's another mailbox or postbox if you prefer. This one you can find in Taiwan. A nice enough box, don't you think ? One more for my collection. The stamps are a little common , I won't go into them, but here they are.
And the final card for today is The Penguin John Lennon card. It comes from up north, Edmonton way. About 300 km north of here. It comes from Jacqueline who has this blog, " a postcard project" . You can check it out here. She used a 2011 Baby Wildlife definitive of a pair of Arctic Hares. Sadly it escaped the post office's postmark. Yes, it even happens here in Canada.

So ends another update. Hope you enjoyed it . Take care, call again.

3 comments:

Michael5000 said...

Timor L'este! Very cool.

K Aban said...

Good day!

I would like to request permission to use the image of the Timor-Leste postcard for a small conference website to be held in Dili.

Will you please let me have your email, so that I can give more information? I could not find a private message facility or email address, hence the comment.

Many thanks!

Unknown said...

You shared the stamps, that's really great. Thank you for sharing
Tirana Postcard