Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Kok-Gumbaz, Montreal, The Atomium and a River City.

BLOG # 1576  -  Day 973 of the Pandemic --- Day 258 of the Russian Invasion of Ukraine 

                                                               GLORY TO UKRAUNE



Hey, I'm back again with a new update. But before I get to postcards let me just say this. I know it's only early November but winter has arrived here in Alberta. Since October 22nd we have had three snowfalls, for a total of 37 cm of the white stuff. When I got up this morning it was -26 C with a windchill of -30. Now as I type this it is sunny and -17 C with a windchill of -25. Yes I know Canada is a northern country but fall or autumn is not supposed to be white. Winter doesn't officially start until December 21st. Well, that's my rant for today. 

My first card today arrived from Tashkent, Uzbekistan. It shows the Kok-Gumbaz Mosque and Tower in Shakhrisabz. It was built in 1435. 



Postcrosser Fotima sent this card along. She used a stamp issued in 2022, but dated 2021 , 1 of 4 in a set of Traditional Figurines. 




This next card is from Montreal, Canada. It's a look at Saint-Amable Street in Old Montreal. It's actually an historical alley that been around for over two hundred years. Now if you look to the left on the card , I believe that's postcards for sale. 



Dominique , who usually post cards from Europe, was visiting Montreal recently and sent this along. His stamp is from the From Far and Wide series of January 2020. This one shows Iles de la Madeleine. 



The Atomium in Brussels is the focus of card number 3 today. This structure is 102 m high and was constructed for the 1958 Brussels World`s Fair.




David used 2 stamps from a 2022 Humanitarian Mission Aircraft minisheet of 5. On the card we see a Fairchild Flying Boxcar and a Westland Sea King helicopter. The rest of the mnisheet is just as impressive . I`ll certainly have to add the minisheet to my collection. 




Time now for a card from Wuhan, China. Yes I said Wuhan. It`s called the River City as the Yangtze River runs through the city and is the longest river in the country. 


Zhang used 3 great stamps on this card. The left stamp is from a set of 4 issued in 2017 for High Speed Railways. The middle stamp, from 2016, is 1 of 4 in a Lighthouses set. The right stamp was issued in 2020, 1 of 6 in a Paintings set, to mark the 10th Anniversary of the Death of Wu Guanzhong. Of course I like to say it celebrates the 101st Anniversary of  Wu Guanzhong. 


 


Well that`s it for this time. Thanks for cards and stamps today go out to Zhang, David, Dominique and  Fotima, 

If you liked what you saw here today, be sure to drop in again, but not for 2 weeks. My blog will be quiet for a couple of weeks. Take care.

No comments: