Tuesday, March 23, 2021

A Postcard Challenge - A Newfoundland Town Postmark and More

BLOG # 1509  --- In The Time Of Covid

Welcome back. It's been not long. I have four cards for our time today. They are from France, Canada, Germany and Korea. 

The French card shows an evening view of the main beach of Saint-Cast, a commune in Brittany in northwestern France. It is a port city on the English Channel, with a population of just over 3,300. There are a number of great beaches in the area including the one shown on the card. 


  Dominique used a semi-postal  stamp from 1972 on this card. It features French Physician Francois Broussais. It is 1 of 2 stamps issued with the extra cost going to the Red Cross. 1972 was the 200th Anniversary of Broussais's Birth. 



My second card is from my home province of Newfoundland, Canada. It's the latest addition to my Collection of cards with Newfoundland Town Postmarks. This new one is from New Harbour, Trinity Bay. This small community on the East shore of Trinity Bay has a population of around 500. New Harbour was a major shipbuilding center going back as far as 1800. 

The card shows a picture from 1929. A major tidal wave struck Newfoundland's south coast that year ,  resulting in extensive property damage and the loss of more than twenty lives. Many of the lost houses ended up getting towed by schooner to a new and dry location.



This card from Deb & Bill was posted at New Harbour, even though the on the scan it may be difficult to see it. Deb used a 2020 stamp showing Carcajou Falls in the North West Territories.


 


Card # 3 is from Germany even though it originated at the Postal Museum in Tampere, Finland. I guess that's one way for the museum to receive it displays of postcards and letters - boxes of airmail floating down from an overhead plane. 


Isa used a stamp from this year on her card. It celebrates the 150th Anniversary of the Birth of Friedrich Ebert, German politician and first President of Germany.



Now here's the last card for today. It arrived from South Korea, but shows a map of Kent, England. Is this a new trend - cards arriving from one place but showing another ? Kent is a county in southeast England. Leeds Castle, Dover Castle and Canterbury Cathedral are all located in Kent county.



A new reader of my blog in Sejong City sent this card. Saf Juan found my blog and thought to send a postcard. How good is that ?  From the card I take it that Saf Juan is a Brit located in Korea for a brief amount of time. I can't make out the post date on the card, but it came with a Happy New Year wish. I wonder if it's been on the go that long. Hope you stay a reader of my blog. 
The Korea Flag stamps were issued in 2019. 


That about does it for this time. Thanks for today's cards go out to Dominique, Deb & Bill, Isa and Saf Juan. I appreciate all your cards.  

But before I go I have just another little piece of business that requires your ( my readers ) attention. 

 I recently received a card from Amy, a 6th grade teacher in Hartland, Wisconsin, USA. She says the class is learning about culture, geography, history and economics of each region of the world. Their mission is to be empathetic critical thinkers who are exposed to all different cultures in the world and appreciate the beauty and importance of diversity of culture and people. Amy says they love hearing about local stories, traditions and interesting facts . They love hearing what everyday life is like all around the world. 
So I thought what an opportunity to help these students. I have two cards filled out and ready to send. 
I would like to challenge all readers of my blog, all my postcard buddies around the world to help Amy's class by sending a postcard to them. 
The address is " 
Ms Forecki's 6th Graders
NSMS
800 E. North Shore Drive
Hartland, WI
53029
USA

So come on you guys and gals in Germany, Spain, Belgium, Albania, Italy, Netherlands, Philippines, Macedonia, Sri Lanka , Ireland , France , Canada and South Africa. Help out this class of 6th graders. Let's fill the school's mailbox with postcards. Feel free to copy and pass this challenge along anywhere you want, like Facebook. I am not a Facebook member so I can't. I'm counting on you all to participate , so let's get it going. 

Thanks for reading.

One more time - wear a mask, wash your hands and keep your distance. 

2 comments:

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

Thank you Gem for sharing the information. Will be mailing a postcard even though we are almost neighbors. Enjoy your day!