Saturday, December 6, 2014

Yes, I Know It's December

Yes, it is December and has been for almost a week now, it's certainly time for an update. I best get one in now , as I don't know how often I'll get back on here this month. I just know December , this year, is going to be extremely busy , so postcard updates may be few and far between. Be that as it may, today is today and I have 2 cards to blog about. One is from Switzerland and the other is from France.

Let's start with the card from Switzerland. The card gives us a look at some scenery around Meilen and also a look at the ferry that operates between Meilen and Horgan, across Lake Zurich .  Meilen is a municipality in the district of Meilen in the canton of Zürich in Switzerland. Meilen dates back more than 4000 years. Locals have unearthed coins from Roman times ( 1st to 3rd century ) . The church shown on the front dates to a chapel of the 7th century. The current church was built in 1493. 



Zdenka sent this card and used 2 stamps that would be of interest to collectors of Animal topical stamps. On the left is a stamp from 2013. This stamp , which shows a Goat and a Dog , celebrates 500 Years of the Canton of Appenzell in the Swiss Confederation. The stamp on the right is a Europa issue from 2010 celebrating Childrens Books. It also shows 2 Goats.

  

The second card for today came from Dijon, France. Dijon is a city in eastern France, capital of the Côte-d'Or département and of the Burgundy region. The city of Dijon holds an International and Gastronomic Fair every year in autumn. With over 500 exhibitors and 200,000 visitors every year, it is one of the ten most important fairs in France. Dijon is also famous for Dijon mustard which originated there in 1856.



This is another card from Dominique. The stamp used is 1 of 4 in a 2014 souvenir sheet showcasing European capitals, all 4 in this sheet celebrate Vienna.



Well, that's it for this time, short and sweet. As I mentioned a short time ago, cards arriving in my mailbox have dwindled to a trickle.  I'm not sure of the cause, maybe something to do with my move, maybe I don't send enough out, maybe I'm no longer on many peoples radar, I don't know, but it's hard to blog about postcards when the mailbox is empty more often than not. But, as someone once said - " It is what it is " .

Thanks for today's card going out to Zdenka and Dominique.

1 comment:

David Langan said...

HI Glenn, maybe it is because less people travel at this time of the year? Hope you enjoying your new home